Monday, November 21, 2011

Is it possible to misdiagnose an allergic reaction or sensitive skin condition as HPV?

I'm happily married for 2 yrs, together for 3yrs. I have sensitive skin %26amp; very bad allergies. 4 months ago my vagina started itching very badly, after 2 months I was able to get an appt. w/ my Gyn. who diagnosed my itching as a Yeast infection. She did my PAP %26amp; sent a culture to determine if it was a Yeast %26amp; sure enough it was. She wrote a prescription for a pill which cleared up my yeast infection for about two weeks. Then I started itching again really badly %26amp; getting hives, off and on, so naturally I thought I was having an allergic reaction. It went away after I changed my detergent. Just this past weekend I started itching again %26amp; got hives, %26amp; felt a hard pea-sized bump near the opening of my vagina. I took 2 benadryl %26amp; on this past Sun. the hives were gone, as well as the itching, but the bump remained. I made an appt. on Mon. to see my gyn., who looked at it %26amp; surrounding area %26amp; diagnosed me (on sight) with HPV w/ hive-like warts. She gave me a 'scrip for Aldara cream.

Is it possible to misdiagnose an allergic reaction or sensitive skin condition as HPV?
FIrst of all, it could very well be HPV genital warts.


Not all external genital warts present in the same way


Itching is a common sign!





You may have had two separate conditions presenting close together which can be confusing. The yeast infection and HPV. Either way I would definitely use the Aldara cream as directed (remember you MUST wash it off after 6-8 hours).





Keep a close eye on the region and be sure and let your doc know if you see anything out of the ordinary.





But to answer your question: YES. It is possible to misdiagnose an allergic reaction as HPV/Herpes however it most often occurs the other way around --- HPV and (mostly) herpes are often misdiagnosed as an allergic reaction (among other things). The pendulum swings both ways on that.





If symptoms persist or get worse, call your doctor.





Hope this helps
Reply:Yes, any diagnosis can be wrong. I would have your gyn run a blood test to see if you have the HPV especially since the pap culture came back as yeast. I am currently dealing with this because I came up with the warts and I've been married for almost 15 years. I have two teenagers and my husband is getting ready to go back to Korea for 6 more months. I know I didn't mess around on him and he swears the same thing.


Good Luck sweetie! Make sure you get that test though.

fruit

No comments:

Post a Comment